Comment on page
Expiring Courses Widgets
This superpower section actually contains multiple superpowers all rolled into one
- Add this section to the Student Dashboard page by searching for "Expiring Courses Widgets"
- Only one of these sections should be use on the page
When Expiring Course Saver is added to your Student Dashboard page, it will automatically become activated for all conditions of expiring (actual expiration, payment plans and product subscriptions). In some cases you may only want the Expire Course widget to be active for certain types of students. To help control this, you would change the "When to restrict activating this widget" and also the "Enrollment Check" settings:
- When to restrict activating this widget:
- None: There will not be a restriction for activating this widget
- Enrolled In: The widget will only be shown to those enrolled in a course or bundle selected in the next setting
- Not Enrolled In: The widget will only be shown to those not enrolled in a course or bundle selected in the next setting
- Enrollment Check: Select a course that will be checked for enrollment status
Scenario: You have a membership bundle called "All You Can Chew" and it is a subscription based product. Normally what Thinkific does in this case is set an "expiration" for each renewal period and then when the payment goes through, it extends the expiration. In this case, you may not want to warn people that their course is "expiring". You may also have a course called "Dog Trainer Certification" and has an expiration of one year.
If you only wanted to have the Expiring Course Widget appear for just the students who are enrolled in the individual course, then you would set:
When to restrict activating this widget: Not Enrolled In
Enrollment Check: All You Can Chew
- Enable or Disable this superpower section by checking or unchecking the Enable This? setting
- Optionally change the color settings to be used for the background and text
The colors for the buttons are controlled from the standard Thinkific theme settings
The headings settings group controls the text that is being used in the widgets
- The Heading setting is used in most of the widgets as the title of the widget. It supports "Smart Tags" where entering
[NAME]will show the signed in student name.
- The Summary (One course Expiring) setting will be used when the student only has one course that is expiring. This setting supports "Smart Tags":
- [COURSE] will be replaced by the name of the course that is expiring
- [EXPIRE ON] will be be replaced by the date that the expiration will occur
- The Summary (Many courses Expiring) setting will be used when the student has many courses that are expiring. This setting supports "Smart Tags"
- [NUM EXPIRING] will be replaced by the number of courses (just the number)
This setting group is used to set the link that the button will use as well as the text that will be displayed on the button.
- Set the Button Text to your desired text
- Choose a Page Url to be used for the button
This setting group is used to set the images that are used on some of the widget types.
For Widget styles that use an "avatar" ex: styles 01, 04 - the image and text in the image and avatar settings will be used.
The avatar image must have a 1:1 ratio for the size. Otherwise the image may appear distorted. Please use the suggested size: 170x170px
For all widgets that have a "main image", by default a course card image will be used. In the case of one expiring course, the image of the course will be used. In the case of multiple expiring courses, one of the images from the list of expiring courses will be used.
If you prefer to always use a certain image for all scenarios, then you would uncheck the Use Course Card Image setting and then upload an image.
The reminder widget can appear in 4 different locations (desktop). For styles that are using a "bar" the number of locations are actually two. ex: style -07 - Bar with button : the "Left and Right" aspects of the setting is ignored. For style 09 - Large Side Panel, the "Top and Bottom" aspects of the setting is ignored.
If you would like to only show these warnings at certain times prior to expiration (ex: only show a warning if the course will expire in 7 days), then you would select the
Certain # of Days beforeoption in the
When to show warningssetting as well as enter the
Number of Days to Warn
The warning popups can also be set to appear after a short delay by specifying the
Delay to appearsetting.
The Widget Visibility settings will control both the Widget Popup as well as the warning text that appears on the course card. They will be displayed every day in that range. For example if I choose '7' days to warn, you would see the widget and the warning text for days 7-1 before expiration.
To help your students understand when the courses will be expired (or renewed in the case of subscriptions) you can have the expiration date appear on the course card by enabling the Expiring Text setting as well as the Expiring Text setting.
If you have a "subscription" product, courses will appear as "expiring" on the renewal date. This is how Thinkific manages their subscriptions. It is important to make sure you understand this and choose your words and settings appropriately for the Headings section settings.
For example, you may want to say "...your courses are renewing on" and then set the CTA to the manage account page so that they can check their credit card is a "good one"
An animation effect can also be chosen to be used for the course card when there is a pending expiration.
To get some attention onto the widget warnings and popups, you can also choose to play a sound. Simply, make sure the Play Sound setting is enabled and then choose the type of sounds that you wish to play.
NOTE: Due to browser limitations, the sound will not be heard until the user interacts with the page (ex: clicks).